Technology that was initially intended to –
- fill in gaps and scratches in damaged images or video;
- turn satellite photos into maps;
- to create realistic streetscape videos for training autonomous vehicles;
- give a natural-sounding voice to those who have lost their own;
- turn actors into their older or younger selves;
- and so much more.
Is increasingly being used in malicious and abusive ways.
The challenges of deepfakes and synthetic media are currently broadly unaddressed in Australian law; with trademarks, brands and personal identity all being vulnerable to misrepresentation.
The Australian Governments eSafety Commissioner has a website where you can report images or videos of you that have been altered and posted online to have them removed.